Tuesday, January 11, 2011

SNIC Leh 2009




Next day we were ready for the flight, we were going to Leh by flight and our flight was at 6am. So we were ready in advance by 3am. We got wind resistant sweaters; we were informed that Leh had very cold wind always. We went to airport  and waited for the formalities to be completed. There were some foreigners in the airport and when they saw us in NCC uniform they were very surprised and was smiling. I took many pictures of the airport and myself. Then I went to the airbus and then entered the flight. It was so cool.


        The plane was a small one, only it could accommodate 200 cadets and luckily I got the side seat, it was so good that I took good photos of the sky and earth. That was my first flight and I can say that it is not that much interesting because we can’t move there much, we had to sit in the seat itself and watch the sky. First I took so many pictures of the clouds and sun, but soon it became boring. The clouds were beautiful but soon I got bored. Then the sun rose fully and it became difficult to look outside, so I closed the window.

       By that time I got my breakfast, it was so delicious and good. Not so spicy or juicy but I liked it very much. Compared to the barrack food at it was simply awesome. We had to spend one hour in the plane and when we were about to reach Leh we could see the beautiful mountains covered with little snow. It was beautiful and great. Then we reached Leh airport. The officers were there to welcome us and we were welcomed very warmly.

       We soon reached the camp and we got into girls barrack, there were many to welcome us. We were told to stay quite and to take rest so that we could acclimatize with the environment so soon. Then for one day we took complete rest. After that day we started to visit Leh tourist sites and places of interests.

       First we went to Thickshey monastery, it was a great place. Buddhism was mainly here. The natives were praying and worshipping and we were just watching them, it was the first time I am getting around with an entirely different culture. I was surprised and amused at the same time. The Hinduism in Kerala was entirely different when compared here. Leh was mainly of Buddhism, Hinduism and Islam. I met many cadets of Leh. Some were very friendly but some were not so easy to be mingled. The way and sceneries in Leh was entirely different, wherever you look you can see brown mountains, some were covered with little snow on top. But they were having summer season when we were there but still it was cold at evenings and night. Only few girls took bath in morning. It was so cold for south Indians.

                 Hemis monatery was another place of interest but when we reached there it was closed due to construction purposes, we just lingered outside and climbed the small . It was much beautiful from outside than Thickshey monastery and they worshipped different God there. We just roamed here and there and found many good things to see. The saints were praying and were quiet. Actually I like that atmosphere. It is a good place for some soul searching but as I was busy with my friends and photography I just shoot those into my camera so fast so that we could see it again and again. There were some foreigners too; I just took some pictures with them.


         Then we visited Hall of fame, previous day we had a small presentation about the history of Leh. That made us to understand more of Leh natives and its culture. There was a light and music presentation of leh history, it was also good but it was shown at evening and photography became a Herculean task. But I managed to take more photographs even though it was not so clear. Anju was always with me, no cadets walked alone they had company always and that is one of the best thing I love about NCC, we are never alone anywhere.  


        We had seminars and programs in Rinchen auditorium. It was so spacious and vivid for 200 cadets. DDG gave us an inaugural and welcoming speech on the very first day of the camp. We always talk and made noise in auditorium and officers had to control us every time. Here we had speech by different authorities about our career and career in army. There was also a slide presentation on Siachen army and their victory over army. Most of the cadets used to sleep during seminar presentation and officers used to wake us up.


       We used to get tea time after the seminar presentation. I swear from my experience that the tea was so perfect, the snacks always tasted better. We used to have large variety of snacks. Wow it was really marvelous. We used to have tea party with CO, army officials and government peoples. It was a great experience, many ministers of J&K visited our camps and we were so thrilled. Even though I don’t remember their names they were good looking and their speech was good.

       Once the DG of NCC came for tea party, He spend only one hour in Leh but it was so good. Only few cadets were selected to have tea with him and I was one of them. Lucky! He soon went in hi black ambassador car after spending few minute with us.
       We also visited army training centers and were informed about the different army training centers in Leh. We had also a demonstration on all training techniques. Then we had weapon display in another center. We were given information on army weapons and many such instruments used for the war. It was good and informative for us. I was really proud to be in SNIC for the first because I got the opportunity to visit such a good camp.

       We had several competitions in the camp. I won first prize in drawing competition and the topic was “Juley, yeh dil mange more!” I also participated in group discussion but the prize was cancelled due to some technical reasons. We had NIAP competition; this was mainly for exhibiting the cultural values and the heritage of the state. I got to know about the other states culture and heritage so beautifully for the first time. I like the seven sister states so much, specially their music.  was always banging in their drums and was giving us energy in every way. Everybody loved Kerala because she is truly Gods own country. We got second prize in it. Then we had guard of honor competition, I was doing it for the first time. I never had weapon drill and it was quite difficult for me to do it, but I managed to do it somehow, but we didn’t get prize for that.

      Now telling about the food at camp, it was good, fully north Indian style food. We were given snacks and fruits in between too. I had good friendship with many cadets. I had good company with Karnataka, J&amp;K, Andhra Pradesh, <st1:place w:st="on">Maharashtra</st1:place>, and Tamil Nadu and so on. Still I have contact with some of those friends. Wow it was simply a superb camp, I am really lucky to be in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment